Monday, March 25, 2013

Miss Caroline is Possessive

Today you took your Chapter 3 quiz on TKAM. Hopefully you all studied hard, read the directions, and did well. I'll try to get those graded and given back to you as soon as possible.

The new grammar we have for the week are possessives. Here's what we learned:


1. Add apostrophe s to the end of a singular noun that does not end in s:
EX: the manager’s room

2. Add only an apostrophe to the end of a singular noun if it ends in s:
EX: Ms. Chaves' scarf

3. Add apostrophe s to the end of a plural noun that doesn’t end in s
EX: the children’s bag

4. If the plural noun ends in s, just add the apostrophe
EX: my friends’ car

>>My sister’s friend’s investments
Translation: (I have one sister and she has one friend.)

>>My sisters’ friends’ investments
Translation: (I have many sisters and they have many friends.)

>>My sisters’ friend’s investments
Translation: (I have many sisters and they have one friend.)

>>My sister’s friends’ investments
Translation: (I have one sister and she has many friends.)

As with it's and its, it's is a contraction for it is and its shows possession. For example:

The soccer team won its game on Friday.

It's going to be sunny out on Thursday.


As for your Miss Caroline Projects, this will be the LAST test grade of the term. This is your FINAL chance to bring your grade up before the term ends. Follow all the guidelines we set up for you and don't skimp out on any of the ingredients we listed as part of the assignment. 

This project is due MONDAY. You'll have a little class time tomorrow to start it, but this is your responsibility to get done. I will post the assignment on Schoology and you can upload it there.

Tomorrow, I will post a sample assignment that Mr. Hannah created to guide you.

DEETS:
In-class: 
--Chapter 3 Quiz
--Possessives
--Miss Caroline Project
--Morphology

HW:
--Possessives "quiz" on Schoology



No comments:

Post a Comment